Students in the CaSB program begin in the Pre-Major and complete a number of lower division courses before applying for entrance to the CaSB Major and declaring their chosen Concentration. Official admission to the CaSB Major is contingent on successful completion of all Pre-Major courses while meeting the following requirements:
- a minimum 2.7 GPA in all Pre-Major math courses
- a minimum 2.7 GPA in all Pre-Major courses
- a minimum grade of C or better in all Pre-Major courses
- a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
Automatic Admission to the Pre-Major for Entering Students
Students who applied to UCLA under the Pre-Major and were admitted to the University are automatically declared for the CaSB Pre-Major.
Admission to the Pre-Major for Continuing Students
Current UCLA students who were admitted as freshmen or transfers* can request to declare the Pre-Major once they have met the following requirements:
- Completed one quarter at UCLA
- Are in good academic standing
- Have a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or better
- Have established a Pre-Major GPA of at least 2.7 by taking one Pre-Major course at UCLA for a letter grade
*Transfer students must have been admitted to UCLA under the Division of Life Sciences
All requests to declare the Pre-Major must be sent via email to email@example.com. Please include the following information in your email:
- Full name
- Formal statement requesting to declare the Pre-Major
- Approval to be added to the CaSB Undergraduate News Listserv
Please allow 7 – 10 business days for review. If a student does not meet the requirements to declare the Pre-Major, there will not be an option to petition the decision.
Admission to the Major
Once students have completed all of the Pre-Major coursework, they must submit the application below to be declared for the Major. Students declare their Concentration at the same time that they declare the Major.
Students must submit the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 7 – 10 business days for review. Students will be notified via email of the decision.
Students will need to meet the following requirements to be admitted to the Major:
- Completion of all Pre-Major courses (see note below)
- Minimum 2.7 GPA in all Pre-Major courses
- Minimum 2.7 GPA in all Pre-Major math courses
- Minimum grade of C or better in all Pre-Major courses
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
If a student does not meet all of the requirements to officially be entered into the Major, they will need to attach a minimum GPA or minimum grade petition with their application. These petitions can be found here.
Certain concentrations require additional lower division coursework beyond that included in the Pre-Major. The following courses do not need to be completed prior to applying for admission to the Major:
- PIC 10B, PIC 16, or CS 32 for the Bioinformatics concentration
- CS 32 for the Biological Data Sciences concentration
- MATH 32A for the Bioinformatics, Biomedical Systems, and Systems Biology concentrations
Other Important Information
Students are subject to any requirement changes in the Pre-Major and Major until they are officially admitted to the Major.