Students who intend to pursue the CaSB B.S. degree first begin in the CaSB Pre-Major. Students must meet eligibility requirements in order to be admitted to the Major. Major students must also meet certain requirements in order to graduate.
Major Eligibility Requirements
Effective Fall 2020, official admission to the CaSB Major is contingent on successful completion of all Pre-Major courses while meeting the following requirements:
- a minimum 2.7 GPA in all Pre-Major courses
- a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- a minimum grade of C or better in all Pre-Major courses
Prior to Fall 2020, students were also required to have a minimum 2.7 GPA in Pre-Major math courses in order to be eligible for admission to the Major. This requirement has been removed effective Fall 2020. Students who apply to the major Fall 2020 and forward will not be held to this requirement.
Students are permitted to repeat up to two Pre-Major courses if they do not receive grades of C or better. Students who receive grades below a C in three Pre-Major courses–either in separate courses or repetitions of the same course–are officially dismissed from the Pre-Major and students will be coded as Undeclared. In such cases, students will have the opportunity to submit an appeal.
All Pre-CaSB students are monitored at the end of each term to assess if they are meeting the minimum requirements of a C or better in Pre-Major coursework as stated above. Any student who receives a C- or below in a Pre-Major course will be notified via email by the CaSB Undergraduate Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Graduation Requirements for Major Students
In order to graduate with the B.S. in Computational & Systems Biology, students must:
- Complete all Major courses with a letter grade of C or better (with the exception of C&S BIO/COM SCI/BIOENGR M184 which is only offered on a Pass/No Pass basis)
- Have a minimum 2.0 GPA in upper-division Major coursework
- Satisfy all other University/College requirements, including unit, course, and GPA requirements.